Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Laptop Withdrawal

A few short hours ago I left my beloved laptop at the Apple Store in Milwaukee to be sent out for repairs. The optical drive is shot. This is the second time the optical drive will be replaced on this machine, in about one year. Strange but true. Even the Apple people are a bit puzzled by this, but they assure me it's not the machine, it's the optical drive. This comes after I used a sermon illustration on Sunday in which I praised Apple, and spoke of how much I love Apple computers. Which is still true. In fact I love them so much I am having withdrawal symptoms right now. No shakes, yet, but that may come.

So I'm sitting at the desktop in our home office. The desktop is basically Jim's now, since we bought the laptop and I hog that. I've offered, but he seems to prefer the desktop.

Billy, my ProCare Genius, tells me that we should never call our portable computers "laptops" because that is misleading.. in fact, these machines should not sit on our laps, neither the Apple nor the other versions. But I still call it a laptop, because I do hold it on my lap sometimes.. but now, after learning a few things from Billy, I try to put some sort of hard surface under it. At least I backed everything up last night, which impressed the Apple guy today. (Scott, not Billy. Billy's my ProCare Genius, Scott's the Tech Genius.)

Anyhow, I digress. The point is, about three hours and counting... without my laptop. And I miss it. How will I manage without my great photo software? How will I manage when I'm having a bad fibro day and have to actually work on a desktop computer instead of working from bed? Now Jim and I have to get back to that archaic notion of sharing a computer!

Should be an interesting 7-10 business days.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home