Sunday, July 16, 2006

Reminders

I was reminded this morning that I had not updated my blog, to report in on my "one-on-one". I was so nervous about my "one-on-one", but I survived.. Not only did I survive, it was helpful, affirming, and boosted my confidence in my preaching. Scott gave me some things to work on-which I agreed with, so that's good. Overall, the Preachers' Oasis renewed and refreshed me. Thanks to the Center for Excellence in Preaching for putting on an excellent Oasis, and gathering 14 preachers together to learn, laugh, and be challeneged.

On the way home I stopped in Chicago to see Jen D. I drove up Lake Shore Drive, then up Foster..even though I was in traffic, I loved it, because it reminded me of seminary days.. I met Jen at the Library (a good reminder that the Covenant also has cool buildings, not just Calvin), where she was working hard at Greek. We went for ice-cream, and sat talking in the air-conditioned ice-cream shop. Fun. It was good to be with Jen...

2006 has been a firefly summer...astounding. Driving in Wisconsin Friday night, the fireflies almost sent me off the road, because I kept looking at the cornfields all lit up. Beautiful. It reminded me of the night in Canada when I was driving youth home from a retreat, and I saw the Northern Lights and almost went off the road. And it reminded me of God's incredible creation.

I listened to a book on CD that wasn't that good, and finally, when I realized that I was no longer listening, I ejected it, and put in my "Lost and Found" CD. Lost and Found is always good for my soul. Their lyrics and music are a good reminder to keep trusting in God even when I don't want to.

I'm writing an article about infertility. It's hard. It's difficult to be concise about four plus years of pain, heartache, grieving.. and at the same time affirm hope in adoption. The pain is always there, if not on top of the surface, then right underneath. Fortunately I've also been reading Dawn and Andrew's blog, about their recent trip to China to pick up their daughter, and their return home. Reminders of what is hopefully to come.

This whole week has been one big reminder: a reminder that I belong to God... a reminder of parts of Cathy I had put aside... reminders that God loves, calls and challenges me, a reminder that I actually like the preaching task...and a reminder that I do enjoy life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home