Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Volcano Recipes

So this morning we were supposed to climb Pacaya Volcano outside of Antigua. We arranged with a shuttle company (which has thus far been quite good to us), we woke up at 5:15 am, to be ready before 6:00 am for their shuttle... it never came. After more than an hour of waiting and trying to call the emergency number-which nobody answered-we finally walked to the company office, but it's not open yet. So, no volcano climbing for us. Sad, but true.. And such is life. It's too late now, because we have to catch another shuttle (same company-we'll stop by the office later and make sure they'll be ready) to Guatemala City for tomorrow's Tikal trip.

But, on our walk, we met two friendly and adorable dogs... one sat next to me while I sipped my hot latte from Cafe Condessa. While waiting this morning I talked with the hotel manager who talked about Guatemala, the president (they like him--he's doing some great things for education in Guatemala), SAfe Passage, the organization which works with street kids in the city, etc..

Yesterday, in Panajachel, we took a boat-a private boat for quite cheap-across Lake Atitlan, to visit three pueblos: Santa Catarina de Palopo, San Antonio de Palopo, and Santiago Atitlan... though the clouds hid the tops of the lake's three volcanoes the whole time, the boat ride was still incredibly beautiful, and our captain, David, was incredibly sweet and nice. Young guy who studies on the weekend, and drives his father's boat during the week. The towns were interesting, though also riddled with people trying to literally push sales into our faces.

In San Antonio, this one lady kept pestering us. It was a bother, but for some odd reason it didn't bother me as much as normal. She had something about her I liked. She asked me my name, I told her, she told me here name is Maria. We talked a bit, and I finally bought this hair piece from her, which I wanted to use for something else anyhow.. She then put it in my hair, and Jim took a picture of us.. I look fantastic! Ha.. So we kept walking around the pueblo for a bit. Later, as we descended the hill heading back to our boat, I heard a voice shouting down, "Caty!" I looked up.. it was Maria... "Si", I said.. "Adios, Caty".... "Adios, Maria!" Then she asked, "Is your mother still alive?" Yes, I answered... "Bueno, greet her for me!"

Ok, Maria. Mom, if you're reading this, Maria from San Antonio de Palopo in Guatemala says "Hi".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home